guest
help@protectionforconsumers.com
My experience with a debt collector in Illinois – what I wish I knew about state laws (8 อ่าน)
9 ก.ย. 2569 23:37
I have been dealing with a collection agency for a few months now over what they claim is an old credit card debt. At first, I just tried to ignore the calls, but they kept getting worse. They were calling my work phone multiple times a day, even after I told them my employer didn't allow personal calls. They also threatened to garnish my wages if I didn't pay immediately.
I finally did some digging and found out that Illinois has its own debt collection laws that are actually stronger than the federal ones. For instance, the state limits wage garnishment to just 15% of gross wages, not the 25% federal cap. Also, the statute of limitations for credit card debt is 5 years here, which was news to me.
The law says collectors can't call before 8 AM or after 9 PM, can't harass you, and must send a written validation notice within 5 days of first contact. They also need a state license to operate in Illinois.
I realized the collector calling me never sent a proper validation notice and made threats they couldn't legally follow through on. I sent them a written cease and desist letter by certified mail and filed a complaint with the Illinois Attorney General's office. It's been a huge relief to know my rights.
If you're in Illinois and getting harassed, I highly recommend learning about the protections we have here. There is a good overview of the Illinois Fair Debt Collection Practices Act here that helped me understand everything: https://protectionforconsumers.com/illinois-fair-debt-collection-practices-act-overview/
Has anyone else in Illinois had a similar experience or successfully used the state laws to stop a collector? Would love to hear your stories.
183.82.187.12
guest
ผู้เยี่ยมชม
help@protectionforconsumers.com